Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Contemplative Prayer

I have been reading some rather disturbing things about the contemplative prayer movement in the church. Many Christians are practicing this prayer methodology and it is growing by leaps and bounds in popularity. The Catholic church in particular seems to relish in the pursuit of of this practice. Indeed the Pope himself has advocated that even the laity should pray using these methods. It is started by emptying your mind by repeating a single word over and over again til nothing is there. This is referred to by many as the "silence". Many will say that the Christian version of this prayer method does not have its roots in eastern thought. It is very strange though that the methodology and end result are very similar whether the practitioner is Christian, Buddhist, Islamic, Jewish, Hindu, or any other religion. The person praying in this manner often ends up in an altered state of consciousness. Why then is this practice so bad? There are three main reasons-
  • It is not found in the Bible.
  • It correlates with occult methods (i.e., mantra, vain repetition).
  • It is sympathetic with Eastern mystical perceptions (God in everything; all is One-Pantheism).
Nowhere in the Bible are any instructions found that would lead us to believe that we should pray by emptying our minds. To do so is to invite strange spirits into your consciousness. When we pray we should focus on Christ and what he has done for us through the work on the cross. Not focus on nothing.

There are many respected so called Christian authors out there who advocate this prayer method. People like Bill Hybles of Willow Creek Community Church, Rick Warren of Saddleback Church and author of the best seller Forty Days of Purpose. There is a best selling Christian book out there called Celebration of Discipline that advocates contemplative or breath prayer as it is sometimes called. Here is an excerpt from the book that you see at the top of this post that I am currently reading. This account is from one Ron Comer, pastor of Eastside Christian Fellowship in Salem Oregon, when he read the book Celebration of Discipline.

One day I decided to lock myself in my office and not come out until I knew I had met God. I took from my shelf a book by Richard Foster called Celebration of Discipline. I had briefly read it years before but did not give much attention to its practical application. Now, as I began to read, I was intrigued by the freshness of Foster's approach. It seemed so freeing to come before God and just empty me of myself. I knew God could not fill me if self was in the way.

I laid the book on the floor and got on my knees. I began to step through Foster's teachings of how to come before God. I emptied my mind of all thought and began to repeat sacred words that brought praise to God. I found myself repeating the same words over and over. After a period of about two hours, I began to feel a release from all my cares. As contrary as it seems, my body began to feel an energy that was both exciting and relaxing. My mind was at peace and my spirit open to any experience God would share with me. I began to slip into a euphoric, mystical state. Suddenly, I was struck by five powerful words that penetrated every sense of my existence. The words were firm but loving. My inner spirit had never heard such clarity. The five words were, "This is not from Me!"

Immediately upon hearing these words I began to grieve at all I was doing, and I repented - feeling polluted and foolish. I quickly realized I had not been enjoying God but had opened my mind and heart to a seducing spirit. God ended this episode by confirming in my spirit I needed to stay alert and discerning for deceptive spirits that were amazingly good at emulating the Spirit of God and masquerading as angels of light.


Is this the kind of prayer the church really wants to involve itself in? I vote no.

No comments: